Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Curriculum Night

Last night was curriculum night for Kindergarten families. The first twenty minutes consisted of a collaboration of announcements delivered by the Principal, PTSA President, and all three Kindergarten teachers. I would say that the main message that these three voices aimed at getting across to these families was that 1.) reading requires the help and support of not only teachers but the families of students as well. 2. ) we must remind ourselves that even though Kindergarteners are the youngest of students, learning how to be independent is one of the most valuable lessons they will take away from this experience. 3.) Let's embrace our new math curriculum with open arms for it is a new way of teaching and learning, one that we really believe in. As a bystander, I watched and listened intently in the back of the room and was saddened by the lack of parents that attended the event. So many chairs were empty and then today I found out that a number of parents walked out before the event was even over.

On a more positive note, I learned more about what curriculum night means and what it does for parents. More than anything I felt that my teacher's main job was to reinforce the fact that she is indeed doing exactly what she is being paid for: teaching. A few parents expressed their concerns and were immediately advised at how we would be taking care of their concerns and to not worry because everything would be just fine in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment